Page archived as-is on 2/5/2014. Here you can find all change information
from the game, sorted by patch then date, newest at the top and oldest
at the bottom. Each change also belongs to one of the following
General, Programming, Environment, Menus, Resources, Controls, Samus,
Included at the bottom of each timeframe is the current filesize with
the difference from the last timeframe.
This change log's format has been redone as of 11/3/13. You can find
the archived change log here.
AI Demo v2.0 11/21/13 - Programming... - Rewrote some transition code.
- Environment... - Snow region officially named the Barria Tundra.
Room names changed to reflect this.
- New tile layer added for hidden area detailing.
- Resources... - Fixed more tileset seams.
- Added certain weaponry being drawn above the light layer.
- Other... - Removed all old rooms. Saved a ton of
file space by doing this.
- Removed old view boundaries. Now snaps directly to edges
of room, rather than just outside of the room due to the old HUD
covering the outsides.
- New room specifically for screenshots. Filesize:
3559 kB.Up by 1 kB. 11/20/2013 - Programming... - Global initialization script fully rewritten and
- New scripts created for easy access.
- Moved code and events of extra player objects directly
into the player...
- Arm cannon and associated effects.
- Missile tips.
- Resources... - Added the first few sprites for the Power Suit...
- Morph Ball.
- New Missile and Super Missile tips that poke out the end
of the arm cannon when selected and the player has ammo.
- Revised weapon speeds for hyper and normal modes.
- New death sequence placeholder is in. Functions, but
lacks effects or a smooth transition system.
- Other... - Updated the screenshot feature to allow user
input for the file name. New "Screenshots" folder in game directory to
reflect this change.
- Updated the "Readme" file.
3559 kB.Up by 1 kB. 11/13/13 - Programming... - Revised global weapon and secondary weapon
- Rewrote firing scripts for all weapons.
- Added impact scripts for Super Missiles.
- Updated item case and acquisition code.
- Updated global suit variables to reflect the removal of
the Phazon Suit.
- Removed a lot of old, commented code since it exists in
- Added a check for each item before it is obtained to
make sure the previous item was obtained first (Mostly for debug,
testing and demo purposes or for potential exploits).
- Removed old suit transformation code and controls.
- Resources... - Removed what was left of old HUD code and objects.
- Removed old suit transformation objects.
- Controls... - Added mouse-scrolling through beams.
- Samus... - Officially added Rupture Beam. Functions much
like the old Dark Beam, just with different graphics and slightly
better efficiency and range.
- Pulse Beam now has better range, projectile speed and
- Power Beam now has slightly better range and speed, but
slightly less accuracy.
- Fixed a sprite alignment issue with the Pulse Beam.
- Super missiles now fire with repeated clicks, but there
is a minimum delay of 20 frames (1/3 of a second) before another can be
- New particle effects at the arm cannon when beams are
by 50 kB. 11/11/13 - Programming... - Massive re-write of controls handling.
- Massive re-write of weapon handling including firing,
- Old HUD controller removed.
- Merged some objects and their code together that "latch"
onto others, such as Samus' arm cannon. It used to be a separate
object. Now it is drawn entirely from within the player.
- Programming... - Removed more old and redundant view code that was
used with the WIP cinematics engine and Homing Missile.
- Other... - Fully
re-organized the entire game folder. Had to merge files and folders
from 4 or 5 other locations.
3618 kB. No change.11/6/13 - Resources...
- Beam charging sprites.
- Phazon spark sprites.
- All flak images. Converted generator
flak into this.
- All remaining Phazon Suit, Nova Beam,
Dark Beam, Light Beam, Homing Missile, Diffusion Missile and Screw Bomb
- All old HUD components.
- All old menu components.
- Player suit transformation effects.
- Redundant Phazon spark effects for
- Missile and generic gray flak.
- Simplified, trimmed or scaled...
- Mouse images.
- Most explosion sprites with glow
- Bomb explosion and added a fade.
- Diffuser background explosion. Only
one frame and uses rapid scaling.
- Lighting circle.
- Minor effects, such as blood spray,
ice glitter, pickup effects and much more.
- Corruption Suit morphing effect. Much
more detailed and less blurry.
- Ice barrier melting animation.
Specifically, the puddle it creates has been scaled down.
- Other... - Moved game
location on hard drive(s). Now all in one place, backed up in 4 others.
- Primarily on internal HD.
- Backed up on internal SSD, external
HD, a flash drive and DropBox.
by 411 kB.11/3/13 - General...
following items have been removed: Nova Beam, Dark Beam, Light Beam,
Phazon Suit, Screw Bomb, Homing Missile and Diffusion Missile.
- These items have been replaced with the following...
- Rupture Beam: A Beam found between the
Ice and Phazon Beams. It's specific effects have not been ironed out,
but it will specialize in area-of-effect attacks and small, homing
sub-projectiles like the Dark Beam did.
- Sunder Mine: A place-able proximity
mine that arms after a few seconds and deals damage to enemies when
they get too close. It will explode and be consumed in the process, but
leaves a negative effect (Debuff) on the target(s) that increases their
damage taken for a few seconds. Again, the other details have not been
ironed out (Capacity, effectiveness, sprites, etc.), but the concept
and placeholders are in place.
- Programming... - Purged old, unnecessary scripts.
- Merged various redundant scripts into one, master script.
- Re-organized fire and impact scripts for player beams
- Environment... - All old rooms
archived for reference only.
- Brand new environments in development. All rooms are
being recreated for better flow, accommodations for new environmental
features and more.
Wow, nice to see some activity on this site. Sad news about the Metroid Database. Suppose I'll have to use an archival copy to access what I need. I'd like to send you a demo of my latest work Echo, if that's OK with you.
Its been so long that last I remember you were working on demo v2. Well, that's unfortunate news. If you're interested, you can check out my Zelda OoT HD Remake project on my forum www.zelda64.net. In your spare time away from Coven of course. I might surprise you with something. Hang in there Echo.
was created by EchoJerichoX using YoYo Games' GameMaker Pro,
as well as older versions and GameMaker: Studio. Metroid: Coven was
made under compliance with
Nintendo's content usage policies. You may play this game as much as
you want and make unlimited copies. You may distribute this game on
your own, as long as you give all credit to Nintendo and
EchoJerichoX and include this disclaimer with it. You may NOT sell this
game or offer it as part of a promotion. You may NOT decompile or
reverse engineer this game. You may reuse characters and settings from
this game, as long as you give credit to Nintendo and EchoJerichoX. No
profit was/is being made from this project. All unoriginal content is
copyright of Nintendo.